Tuesday, December 21, 2010


Worth of Convenience


Very often, I mull over the reasons for my deeds; don’t we all! Most often, I find my conduct without any rationale. Once upon a time, this kind of behavior was termed nonsense, not any more. The new non-sense is all that makes more sense, makes you see the truth. Nowadays sensible things are those which are convenient and make our life easier; nonsense, because it is true for us all.

Take Facebook for example. Long ago, I was of the firm belief that this activity is non-sensible. It creates a fake sense of reality, a fake world for the user. It made easier for people to hide behind a “Profile”. Implicitly, it was re-enforcing the social norm of portraying what they wanted people to believe, rather than what they really were. It created a false sense of happiness, joy, sadness, remorse, laughter, tears, love, relationships and God knows what through “Status and Relationship Updates”. For me it was almost like a contagious utopia that was fast removing my friends from actual reality. It was like having imaginary friends!

Yet I joined. It was nonsense not to be on Facebook! “Hell, it is convenient man!” is what I came across everyday. And it honestly was. It was a lot easier to stay in touch with all the people and let me save a lot of time that I could spend elsewhere. Multitasking was suddenly made uncomplicated. Of course, it did not matter much if I was also in touch with people I did not really want to be in touch with, my life was smooth. I was working full time, and yet my friends stopped complaining about not being in touch or not giving them time. Ironically, we now spend less time together than before. How sensible is that?

That is what I guess we do with religion, and every other thing that pushes us to the rocky road. It is not convenient for us to commit to it, hence making it non-sense.

1 comment:

  1. sensibility and convenience can't really be compared in my opinion, and neither can sensibility and the sense of right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete